One Year Adventure Novel Club - Hannah wade (wednesdays @ canaan)
Day/Time: Wednesdays @ Canaan 3:30pm - 4:45pm
*Language Arts Credit
*Creative Writing Instruction
*Have Fun While You Write A Novel
*Peer Review - Your Very Own Writer's Guild
In this full-year course, students who are well read and love to write will have the time of their lives learning the tools of great authors such as:
• Classical story structure
• The five elements of every great story
• Characterization, plot, setting, theme, and conflict
• Story creation and analysis
• How to interpret stories
Students will never read a book, see a play, or watch a movie the same way again. The curriculum we are using is called The One Year Adventure Novel by Daniel Schwabauer. Check out the website at www.OneYearNovel.com. This curriculum is fun and engaging. It emphasizes practical application over theory, and at the end of the year each student will have written a 12 chapter adventure novel of their own.
We are running this course as a club, which means the students must be independent learners and self-motivated. There will be homework assignments, and there will be a grade assigned at the end of each semester for high school transcript credit. The club has an advisor to guide the proceedings; however, it is largely student run. Each student involved with the club can add this on to their "extra-curricular" activities on college applications, as well as receive a full Language Arts Credit.
- If a club member has previously been in an OYAN class, they only need a new $30 workbook + shipping.
- New club members need the $70 student set (workbook + textbook + The Prisoner of Zenda) + shipping.
- If a member has previously been in OYAN, they only need a new $30 workbook and a $29 video streaming subscription, for a total of $59 + shipping.
- New members would need the $70 student set (workbook + textbook + The Prisoner of Zenda) and a $29 video streaming subscription, for a total of $99 + shipping.
Recommended Grade: 8th-12th Grade
Length of Class: 75 minute class
Tuition: $100 per semester
***For a service fee, you can sign up for a monthly payment plan. Payment plans must be arranged in person or by phone. The payment plan fee will be set up based off your tuition total:
$0-$500 service fee $25
$501-$1000 service fee $40
$1001-$1500 service fee $55
$1501-$2000 service fee $70
$2001-$2500 service fee $85
Credit: 1 Language Arts Credit
Note: Because of the full year nature of the project, when students enroll in this course they are committing to the full year (even though the tuition payments are separated by semester).